A history of WMPT Radio South Williamsport Pa, as well as radio in the Williamsport Marketplace. In addition a history of my time behind the microphone.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Goodbye My Friend

This past Friday morning, Feb 10, 2006 Don Holcombe host of KMOG radios Rim Country Forum passed away at age 59. Since I have been at KMOG Don and I became friends, he won my admiration for his courage in the face of severe medical problems. Don was a highly gifted artist and for many years was in residence at the Grand Canyon where his work gained the attention of scores of people including Paul Harvey, who purchased several of Don's works for his two homes, Chicago and Phoenix, and several other items Don created to give as gifts. Diabetes caused Don to lose his sight until becoming legally blind. Many other things happened to Don's health along the way, but he kept on going hosting the Forum for over 9 years.
Don and I would have a running battle on the air about anything, but it was all in fun, with each of us trying to best the other. Being the "newbie" at the station was tough, but having Don come in to "help" me along made my settling in that much easier. Along with News Director Dan Haapala we formed "Dufas Cubed" as one of the listeners named us. Our love of trivia and bad jokes and music, did I mention Don was a great singer and a founding member of The Beeliner's Barbershop group? Anyway, the mornings on KMOG were a lot of fun, probably the most fun I have ever had in radio.

Don, my friend, I will miss you, your humor, no matter how bad you were feeling, your bad jokes, trying to beat you at calling a "key change" in a song, and trying to stump each other with trivia. Goodbye buddy, you had an impact on everyone you touched with your life, including this old DJ.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carol and Kelly Watts Travel Planners said...

The following was sent to my by Ed Blair who Don interviewed:

Kelly, you think YOU were a "newbie"--- how about me? I came to the station as a political "rookie" and Don was so kind to me in my Forum interview. He helped me relax and do the job I had envisioned. I will miss him also.

Ed Blair, interviewed as a candidate for Town Council.

7:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home