A history of WMPT Radio South Williamsport Pa, as well as radio in the Williamsport Marketplace. In addition a history of my time behind the microphone.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Sue Andrews checks in

One of the best talents to come out of WMPT's Guest D.J promotion was Sue Andrews, I was really surprised to see her comments on the blog, but since a lot of people might not take the time to click on the comment section here is her posting! Thanks SUE!!!

WMPT's Midday Music Lady Sue Andrews, middays on WMPT, I was there from March 1975 until February 1979! Then, I found myself working alongside the truly greats of Williamsport radio when I joined WRAK later in the spring of 1979. I was thrilled to be offered a job at WRAK by none other than Ev Rubendall. Foster Gaines turned his show over to me for a week that summer when he went on vacation. Bud Berndt, Glen Sherman, Wright Mackey--all the powerhouses of Billtown Radio before Stainless bought the station late in 1979. To think that Mr. Mackey thought that 53,000 watts of FM power was a liability, while Stainless couldn't believe their good fortune.

But, back to MPT--

What a trip down memory lane,growing up listening to Fatman and Ribbon and the crew at WMPT in the 60' and early 70's, only to find myself on the air there in '75.
Bob Evans was PD and morning man in '75, Greg Isador was doing middays, high schooler and very talented Tom Turner in the evening (having replaced Todd Stewart) and "Ton of Fun: Glen Watkins doing overnights. Part-timers then were Dave Wollet aka Jackson Reed, Jackie Robinson and me as I recall. Kelly was in sales with Bob Jackson (This is Bob and Bob for Beiter's), Bill Byham and the Irish Mafia--Mike Fogarty and Scott Lowery on sports and I don't remember if we had a news director.
At that time, Al Hoover's Hall of Fame played every Saturday from 11pm until 2am.
Dave C. The bossman when he wasn't playing County Commissioner, was messing around with canned music at night on the FM and AM was left to Top 40 and live jocks on the AM.

We almost tore the station down when flood waters threatened again in 1975.
Explorer Post 99.3 was up and running on Saturday mornings with Bob Evans and later with me. Nancy Fay, among others, emerged from that group.

The Jingles--Thank goodness it's Friday, Really Friday her on WMPT and Time to Turn to prevent sunburn!

I could go on and on, but who wants to listen to an old music lady reminiscing--I'm still too young for that.

Kelly and I locked horns several times in that time period, but I had the utmost respect for one of my radio hero's.

A few years back, Kelly and I met for the first time in better than 20 years when I ran into him at the ice cream stand in downtown Canton. We talked too long into the night, but weren't as bad as when we would close down the Caboose from time to time on a Thursday night which was Lady's night.

There are great memories of WMPT for me.

After 1450 AM, and WRAK, I joined the PA Radio team and did middays on WLYC with the Music of Your Life. Barb Evans was on the other side of the glass and the midday hostess on the Q. None of the kids at the Q could understand how I could live the pop scene to play all the old, old music that belonged to my parent's generation. I loved it and played it as Andrea Scott. The name was a result of not wanting to be remembered as being associated with WJKR 104 for a short stint.
I would spend 8 wonderful years from 1984 until 1992 on the air at WLYC.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good grief! ... and HELLO from Kansas City!!

After all these years, I wondered what had happened to the wonderful people who were part of the Williamsport radio scene in the late 60s and early 70s.

Thank you, very sincerely, for stirring up all those memories!

I worked at WRAK AM-FM with Bud Berndt, Ev Rubendall, Glen Sherman, Foster Gaines and the rest as a full and part-timer over a period of four years ... and under my own name, Dave Smith.

I'll never forget the names ... and the people behind 'em ... or forgive Wright Mackey for leaving me alone for 20 hours during the '72 flood!

Thanks again ... and I hope you and all these old colleagues and acquaintances are well.

9:18 AM

 
Blogger tturner1157 said...

Hi Kel...Tom Turner Here!!!
Wow...talk about MEMORIES!!! I was just made aware of this Blog by co-worker Lou Kolb and what a fantastic trip down memory lane for me! I could write a Book but I will keep it as short as I can...Yeah, right!
WMPT was my very first taste of radio from late 1974 through 1978 and I will NEVER forget it. The people were great and reading this blog really got my gears turning. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at 1450 & 99.3. I worked with Sue Andrews(Great lady/good friend), Bob Evans(with his "Bluebird of Happiness!!" Bob now works with the Williamsport Postal Service), Greg Isadore(who I believe is still in New Hampshire last time I spoke with him), Bob Jackson("Let's go all the way with RDJ!"), The "left hander" Bill Byham(who is still doing some play by play with us on WRAK with Ken Sawyer!) Glenn "tons of fun" Watkins, Al Hoover and MANY others during my time there. There was Engineer John Crawford who also did afternoons as Johnny Knight, Jim Sortman( who became a Police officer for Old Lycoming and is now a District Magistrate) Gary Strausser in sales, Nancy Faye(who we lost, along with Dave Wollet, a few years ago)Hell I KNOW I'm forgetting a LOT of great people! And, of course I have worked with you Kelly...at WMPT and here at Kiss-Fm for a time. I too worked about 3-1/2 years with WJKR/J104 and have been here at WKSB/WRAK/WBYL/WVRT since 1986. Where did the years go??? I would love to get back in touch with a lot of these radio people & do a bit of reminiscing! My e-mail is tturner@chilitech.net. I will check back here from time to time and perhaps write another "short" comment! Gotta get back to the studio...Bye for now!

11:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home