A history of WMPT Radio South Williamsport Pa, as well as radio in the Williamsport Marketplace. In addition a history of my time behind the microphone.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Fleetwoods and why I like radio

One of my favorite things about radio is that you don't have to dress up, shave, or worry about “other” things while you are on the air. Most people who read this column would be surprised to learn that during my career I was also worked in TV. My first such work was done just after I graduated from high school. I helped out in a local cable TV station in Williamsport, PA. Later when I was the “Morning Drive” person at WENY AM in Elmira, NY, I did extra work at their sister station TV 36. Being a small market TV station TV 36 relied a lot on the employees of the two radio stations it also operated in Elmira, WENY AM and WLEZ FM for staff. During the several years I worked for the WENY Stations I had the opportunity to appear “on camera” as the “Weather Guy,” a sports anchor, co host of several telethons, on camera field reporter, and behind the scenes I worked as an audio person, studio camera operator, field videographer, and I even got to drive the news van! It was an interesting experience, but of the two electronic media I prefer radio better.

Trivia:

The Fleetwoods consisted of founder Gretchen Christopher, Barbara Harris, and Gary Troxell, and came out of Olympia, Washington.  All were friends in high school and got together and began performing at high school assemblies.   Their classmates wanted a record of the now classic "Come Softly To Me" written by Gretchen Christopher.  Several months later their demo tape came to the attention of Bob Reisdorf founder of Dolphin Records (later Dolton Records), and it was recorded and of course became a hit.  Oh, the accompaniment consisted of a guitar and Gary Troxell shaking his car keys.  Dolphin Records told the group they needed a professional sounding name so entering unto the music scene was "The Fleetwoods" named after the telephone exchange the group members lived in.  Barbara and Gary are retired, but Gretchen continues to perform today with two new back up singers and has a new CD called "Gretchen's Sweet 16."  I had the honor of being one of the first DJ's in the country to play cuts, even before the final mix was completed, during my three interviews with Gretchen.  You can hear those interviews at  www.gretchenchristopher.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home