A history of WMPT Radio South Williamsport Pa, as well as radio in the Williamsport Marketplace. In addition a history of my time behind the microphone.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Head South part 2

When I returned to WMPT in 1975, there had been a lot of improvements equipment wise. Two new consoles, one in the Master Control and one in Production, new audio processing, new turn tables, new reel to reel machines, and the control room had moved. The on air sound was pretty solid with Bob Evans, Program Director and Morning Personality, Bob came to WMPT from WSBA Susquehanna Broadcasting in York. He had a warm easy going charm that really had the market solid in the mornings. I think Bob was the first one ever in morning drive to beat Rube and WRAK in that time slot. Mid days were handled by Greg Isadore. I don't really know a lot about Greg, except to say he was good on the air and a nice guy. If I remember correctly Johnny Knight (Crawford) was doing Afternoon Drive at the time. Johnny was solid on the air, but loved to do engineering, so he did that as well. Evenings had Tom Turner a young man from Loyalsock Township, lots of raw talent and energy. Overnights was Glen Watkins, what he lacked in experience he made up for in energy on the air. Part timers included Mona Patt,Jim Sortman (who later became a District Justice) Dave Wollett, Jackie Robinson, (not the baseball player) and Al Hoover. Al's show "The Hall Of Fame" was what I consider to be the benchmark for oldies shows of that period in small market radio, it was on Saturday Night, and I often stopped in to "Help him" do his show. Other staff included Bob Jackson, sales and fill in on air, Gary Strausser also in sales, and the best sports staff with Bill Byham, Mike Fogarty, and Scott Lowery. In those days WMPT carried Montoursville and South Williamsport Football and Basketball, Lycoming College Football, Williamsport High School Basketball, and of course the Little League World Series. Additionally we carried Little League action when one of the area teams got to playoff level. It was not uncommon to have one game on 1450 Am, one of 99.3 FM and be taping another, with three play by play teams, I was with Bill most times, we really had the market covered for sports and it was a money maker for the station and GREAT P.R.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike Fogarty said...

Great to hear from Kelly and other MPT alumni!!! It was a fun time to be in broadcasting, even if it was a part time sports announcing job.
Bill Byham, Scott Lowery and I are still working together at WRAK doing World Series broadcasts , along with Ken Sawyer and Gaey Christman . It remains as much fun n now as it was 30 years agao. 30 years ,where did those years get to.
I had forgotten some of the names mentioned in the blogs and in talking with some local people found out Dave Frey worked as a "jock" and I did remember Jim Keefer working many shifts.
It has been fun walking down memory lane with you all. I will continue to read the additions and add what comes to mind and what Jim Keefer remembers.

4:28 PM

 
Blogger Jack X Crawford said...

Kelly...
I just found your Blog. Very good and interesting stuff.
During my tenure at WMPT, my friend Bob Evans (whom I met at WSBA in York, Pa and without who's prodding I would not have worked at WMPT) was program director and morning announcer 6-10.
Ron Shobert had just left the radio station. Dolly Wilt was still there, but not on the air anymore.
Gary Strausser was in sales.
Bill Byham hosted a daily sports report at 5:25 p.m. ('That's thirty'), Mike Fogarty and Scott Lowery did play-by-play announcing.
Bob Jackson and is wife 'Egg Fryer' used to drop by a lot as Bob was doing some sales and was on the air part-time.
Jim Sortman was there for a while, but left to go into forestry.
Greg Isadore handled 10-2, I, Johnny 'Nasty' Knight, did 2-6, Tom Turner aired 6-12 and Glen 'Tons of Fun' Watkins was overnight, 12-6.
Al Hoover broadcast a Saturday night oldies show (Al Hoover's Hall of Fame) that was really popular Saturday nights 11 - 2.
Harry Seltzer was the GM who left to take a job with Motorola.
Somewhere in the mix was Frank Bell who, as I remember, was very good on the air. Sue Andrews came aboard as the first full-time female personality. Mona Fisher was hired before Sue and was the first female announcer at WMPT, although only part-time doing Sunday mornings.
Glennaire was the bookkeeper, receptionist, and all around office manager. I gave her my Siamese cat when I left WMPT because I could not have pets in my new apartment.
Alan Pruess built an automation system for Dave and also some 2-way car mobile radios for the station.
I had more interest in engineering than remaining on the air at the time, and I credit Dave with giving me my start in that field. I had my First Class FCC license for years, but no real broadcast related experience. Dave made sure I got plenty of hands-on training.
Dave didn't need a full-time engineer, he could handle that himself, so with a mutual parting of the ways, I took a job with Susquehanna Broadcasting as their Chief Engineer at WLQA FM in Cincinnati, Ohio.

3:15 AM

 
Blogger Layla said...

I know that this really doesn't pertain to much of anything you guys write, but Dolly Wilt was my grand-mother. It's nice to see people remembering her doing something that she loved doing. If you have any stories about her I'd love to hear them. She has been gone for over 12 years now, and is still deeply missed. Please feel free to email me at layro@verizon.net.

8:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home