A history of WMPT Radio South Williamsport Pa, as well as radio in the Williamsport Marketplace. In addition a history of my time behind the microphone.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Four Aces

Borrowing an old line from the great Jack Benny, “Hi I'm Kelly Watts....(pause)......
there will now be a 30 second pause while everybody looks at their radio and says so what?” One of the greatest fears that I think any disk jockey has, is the first day on the air at a new station. In small market radio one usually arrives without much fanfare and while that can be a blessing it can also be quite frustrating. Not only to the D.J. But the listener as well. Over the years I was the “newbie” at a bunch of stations, including of course our own KMOG. When the decision was made to leave my roots and move to Payson, I decided that I would enjoy getting back in radio on a regular basis, and if the truth be told, I was less that anxious to play country music. I had worked at four country stations over the course of my career and actually enjoyed doing the format. My problem was, I had not worked at a modern country station since 1975 so it was with a certain amount of reservation that I applied, was hired, and accepted the chance to work at KMOG. As with all disk jockeys I have my own style. Over the years that I had worked at fast paced, “tight format” stations, I picked up my speaking pace considerably, at times having been called on to read 70 seconds of commercial copy in 60 seconds. My first few days on the air at KMOG were interesting, fun and at times down right discouraging. I wrote in my BLOG, “I really don't think the people of Payson were quite ready for a Northeastern former Top 40 Jock.” I remember receiving a number of calls from people telling me that they didn't like me at all. One lady even went so far as to say “well I'm selling my radio.” to which I responded, “you'll have to call during trades and sales.” I give a lot of thanks to Blaine Kimball and Mike Farrell for their support during my time at KMOG, and to the listeners who eventually got used to my “small people warnings” on wind days, yerms like “snizzle” freezy skid stuff, and P.O.E.T.S. Day.

The Four Aces. If I had to pick a 1950's group for the best harmonies I am pretty sure it would be them. Their chart classics such as “Love Is A Many Splendored Thing, Perfidia, Heart and Soul, and Three Coins In A Fountain” are some of the greatest and most recognizable songs ever.

The original Four Aces have all retired, but leader Fred Diodati joined The Aces in 1956, so in my mind he is an original. During the course of “The Legendary Artist” interview series, I had Tenor Joe Giglio on four times. Joe is a tremendous talent by himself, and actually cut a couple of songs that we played on the show. One in particular, called “Angela” he wrote for his girl friend. The first time I heard it I wondered why he was not a lead singer, so I asked him Joe said, “I'm not a lead singer, I am a back up singer and a guitarist.” By the way if you are fortunate enough to see an Aces concert Joe will be playing guitar. One of his idols was Duane Eddy, Joe said “back when I had my group I had to learn to play like him to do Rebel Rouser.” Anyway, todays Aces line up includes Fred Diodati, the leader and spokesman, Joe Giglio, Tenor and Guitar, Harry Heisler, Bass and Musical Director, and Danny Colingo, who sings in fluent Italian and does a dead on impersonation of Johnny Mathis.

Whenever I talked with Joe, I never knew what was going to happen. As with all my interviews they were un scripted and we were never sure where a topic was going to lead us. And on more than one occasion Joe had me laying back in the control room chair laughing. I have never met a man with so many different stories in my life.

I was honored in February of 2008 to be Joe's invited guest at a show featuring the Four Aces, The Four Lads, and The Diamonds. I have been to live concerts over the years and have come away at times disappointed that the songs just really didn't sound as good in person as they did on record. This was not the case. There were several highlights of that evening including being backstage before the show laughing and joking with the acts, and yes we even got into some music trivia, NOW that takes guts with all the experience in those groups. I had interviewed “The Lads” Frank Busseri, so this was a double treat.

Because the concert ended late, I stayed at the same hotel as the groups and was invited to breakfast the next morning. Let me tell you that was an experience. The stories and Danny Colingo doing the absolute best Godfather imitation I have ever heard, I don't think I have ever laughed so hard.

The Four Aces have appeared in Palm Springs Follies every couple of years for decades. For more information of the group and to order their album “We Are Singers” ( as opposed to what maybe floor sweepers? my line) visit their website at www.thefouraces.org.

Trivia: What song was a hit for both The Chordetts and The Four Aces. The song of course was the classic Mr. Sandman written by Francis Drake "PAT" Ballard or Troy, Pa in 1954. The same song was adapted as a Christmas song by Suzy Boggus as Mr Santa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home