A history of WMPT Radio South Williamsport Pa, as well as radio in the Williamsport Marketplace. In addition a history of my time behind the microphone.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

You're in, with Kelly Watts, MORE MUSIC” Hi everybody, in the 60's and 70's in Top Forty Radio (read rock and roll) almost every disk jockey had his or her own “shout.” “Shouts” were personalized introductions for the disk jockey usually produced by the same company that produced the singing station jingles. There were dozens of thees companies in operation at one time and their services not only included radio station jingles, but also singing jingles for a multitude of products. I still have copies of my shouts and have used them during my radio career.

When I say the name Jimmie Rodgers, depending on what generation you are from you will either think of the Pioneer Country Star , also known as “The Singing Brakeman,” or the pop singer. Since the former died in 1933 it would have been rather difficult for me to interview him. I did have the great fortune to interview the “pop” artist Jmmie Rodgers back in 2006 on “The Class Reunion.” As I was preparing to write this article I once again listened to my interview and found it was quite surprising ho much I had forgotten. The pop signer jimmey Rodgers was born in 1933, and was actually named after his uncle. He told me that in later years he got to know several members of the country singers family, and has a rather large collection of that artists music.

Jimmie Rodgers was on my “A list” of people and thanks to his good friend Johnny Tillotson I got the opportunity to talk with him. I rememebr when I first called to set up the interview his wife Mary had me hang on the line while she interrupted his gardening chores. We both laughed about it as when he answerd the phone I told him that I felt he needed a break.

After Jimmie's discharge from the Air Force, he went to New York city in search of work. After several failed efforts to find a job, he told me he was outside the CBS Studios, and saw a bunch of musicians going in to audition for Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts. “I had my old guitar so I just walked in with the rest of them,” Jimmie said. He got an audition went on the show and won $750.00. Jimmie said, “it was a good thing I was just about out of money.”

Jimmie's first hit “Honeycomb” was recorded in just two hours at Roulette Records. “In those days we didn't have all the fancy equipment there is today, just a microphone for me, one for the band, and the back up singers leaned in over my shoulders.” Jimmie said, “Today, with all the modern technology, someone who can't sing can make a hit record.” Jimmy, who was still active in record production, got a laugh when I told hime that if her ever wanted to record someone like that, just call me.

Jimmie is survivor. Back in 1967 he was attacked and severely injured. The incident effectively stopped his career for nearly 18 years. He told me at one point his weight dropped to 88 pounds. Jimmie told me that it took a lot of hard work but eventually he fully recovered and went on to run marathons. His road back eventually took him to Branson, Mo where for 12 years, ending in 2003, he had the “Jimmie Rodgers Family Show.”

Jimmy is another one of those entertainers who is more than just a recording artist, he runs two music publishing companies and has written over 300 songs. Jimmie related that when he is on stage he tell the audience,”I'm going to sing the biggest hit I ever had,” launching into “Oh, Oh ,Spaghetti-O's” Of course that was derived from his 1958 song “Oh Oh, I'm Falling In Love Again.”

I asked him if he had ever done the Dick Clark tour, he said, “No, because Dick Clark couldn't catagorize my work, I never shook my rear end, I just sat on a stool and sang folk songs.” Speaking of touring, Jimmie was supposed to be on the tour with Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and The Big Bopper that saw them die in a plane crash. “I quit flying in those rickety planes and started doing more nightclubs after that,” said Jimmie, “I wasn't on the tour as I was home with the flu.”

The last time Jimmie made the charts was in 1966 with a song called “It's Over.” “there was no formal score for the song the song, that he wrote about a conversation he had with a woman who was in love with one of his band mambers. The song, featured then studio musician Glenn Campbell on guitar, an acustic bass and drums. That song also was a hit for Elvis and Eddy Arnold.

Trivia Time: What company sponsored The Arthur Godfrey Talent scout TV show. Godfrey would always do their commercials live and sample their product on the air.” None other than Lipton Tea, Arthur would always brew a cup on the air, and sip it. I sometimes wondered what was REALLY in the cup? Was it like the rumor about Jackie Gleason's cup that was filled with Gin?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home