A history of WMPT Radio South Williamsport Pa, as well as radio in the Williamsport Marketplace. In addition a history of my time behind the microphone.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Gary Puckett (part 1)

Welcome to another installment of my memories I always hope that you find the artists' stories and my stories about broadcasting of interest and amusement! I got thinking today about some of the most colorful characters I ever worked with. To be sure Lynn B. (last name omitted) was one of the most. As is the case of way too many people in media he had a problem,with alcohol. He did morning drive at a station where I was the All Night D.J. A few times a week he would appear at the station around 2:00 AM and sack out on the couch. Since he was my relief person, it became my job to awaken him for his shift. This man looked like everybody's grandfather, and was a nice enough guy, except for the periods when he was over-served. I could always tell if it was going to be a challenge, for he would come into the control room and say something to the effect of “well Senator, I'm going to take a nap. Get me up for my shift.” He wore the worlds worse looking toupee as it had yellowed with age, and when he was in “that” condition, it would be crooked on his head. I did feel sorry for him, as he was a decent announcer, but after a pretty short period of time management got tired of his antics and fired him.

Gary Puckett and the Union Gap sold well over five million singles in the the period of time from 1967 to late 1969, plus probably a very close number of albums. In 1968 they were the #1 selling artists and the record trivia people point out they outsold all other artists INDLUDING THE BEATLES. When Gary and I talked about that fact, he said , “Well maybe the Beatles were having a bad year.” That was typical of our chat. I found Gary to be a very down to earth, humble, well spoken guy who was not afraid to poke some fun at himself. Of all the artists I have ever interviewed I think he was the most well spoken.

In talking about the group and their success Gary said, “we had a little good luck, we put together a talented bunch of guys, to be on stage, and I kind of handled it like a business.” Jerry Fuller our producer at Columbia (Records) came to see us perform in San Diego, and afterwards came up to the stage and said, let's go make records.” Gary gives a lot of credit to Jerry for his choice of matching the music to the artist. “If you had given “Woman Woman” or “Young Girl” to Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones) it may not have worked. Or if I had tried to do “Time Is On My Side” or “Satisfaction,” it might not have worked either .”

The story of the Union Gap really starts in his family's garage in San Diego. He and his family had moved around a lot with his father's job as a department store executive. Gary said, “I like to say we were a garage band when we started. We borrowed a stage in a club to perform for a person we wanted to be our manager.” Fortunately he liked them and booked them gigs in West and Northwest Coast. It was on that trip Gary had the idea for the group to wear Civil War Union uniforms. The Union Gap name came from a suburb in the Yakima, Wa. valley. Gary said, “the band would probably tell you I got the idea from the TV Show F Troop!”

Their first hit “Woman Woman” from December of 1967, (Written by Jim Glaser) actually was also a minor county hit for Tompall Glaser and The Glaser Brothers. Columbia producer Jerry Fuller liked the song and said “If I find the right guy to do it, I'm going in the studio.” Gary, on a visit to Columbia records, handed Jerry his portfolio and he liked it and said “I've got a song for you.” The rest, as they say is history, BTW, Glen Campbell was also interested in that song. Somehow, as much as I like Glen's work, I don't think the song would have had quite the impact it did with Gary's tremendous voice hitting those high notes. Gary laughs today, and says “Well, I could in those days. I've had to bring all the songs down a step, I can't hit those notes anymore.”

1968 saw the release of “Young Girl” about which Gary Puckett says, “I was fortunate to work with a producer and writer like Jerry who wrote songs to follow other songs, we were fortunate to have a guy who understood that.” Gary, I think, liked the comment I made that I felt the song was a “commercially good sound.” Well it certainly had all the right things including a 30 piece orchestra behind them in that song.

As is that case when I listen to these interviews I have way more material than I can fit in one article, so I will continuein another post with notes from my Gary Puckett Interview.

Trivia the 1960's group that appeared in Civil War uniforms?” That group was none other than Gary Puckett & The Union Gap. Their series of songs, that, when you put the titles in order tell a story

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home