A history of WMPT Radio South Williamsport Pa, as well as radio in the Williamsport Marketplace. In addition a history of my time behind the microphone.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Lenny Welch

Time to mix up a big tall glass of Ovaltine, and get close to the radio. It seems like only yesterday that I remember those great Saturday morning serials on the radio. The Roy Rogers Show, Captain Midnight and more. I am sure that may of you saved those Ovaltine seals and sent in for your secret decoder ring; I know I did. There is one scene in the holiday movie class, A Christmas Story, where little Ralphie anxiously awaits his decoder ring only to find the message was “be sure and drink your Ovaltine.” I don't remember what message Captain Midnight sent, but I am sure it probably involved my part in how to save the world or intergalactic travel. It runs in my mind I also saved up something for an official “Sea Hunt” Mike Nelson swimming frogman. The ties ins with the shows certainly were a great way to sell the sponsors products. I wish I still had all of those premiums as they certainly would be collectibles today.

Often during the interviews I would ask who a particular artist influence was. Lenny told me that while he didn't have any in particular he really liked Clyde Mc Phatter (Little Bitty Pretty One.). “I tried to imitate him till I found my own style” said Lenny.

As with a lot of very talented artists the difference between success and failure can be credited to a record producer. Lenny became associated with the late Archie Blyer, a band leader. producer, and owner of Cadence records. Archie's list of artists is quite lengthy, as well as his band charting several times, with the most notable song being Hernando's Hide-a-way.

The 1963 hit, "Since I Fell For You," was released at Lenny's suggestion, Lenny said he liked the song from his teenage years when he heard it by Willie Winfield and the Harptones. The song was one of several “pretty” songs that went into the Since I Fell For you Album. Even though they did 20 takes of the song, the one that was released was take number 1. Personally I have always felt that it was on of the most powerful songs of 1963. Lenny says, “I love it, and I don't go on stage without singing it.”

His next song was another classic. This time Lenny took Archie's suggestion and released "Ebb Tide." I've heard many versions of that song over the years, but Lenny's style makes it on of my favorites. The song even appeared in the Paul Newman movie Sweet Bird of Youth.

Lenny somewhat disappeared from the popular music scene for several years, and pursued an acting career, which by the way was his major in college. Getting back into the music business happened while on a trip back to his home town of Asbury Park, N.J. A long time friend of his played him several songs as said “Why not record them?” Lenny made a demo but nothing happened for nearly 10 years until he came across them and decided to put them together in a CD called “It's All About Love.” I had the opportunity to listen to the songs before I interviewed Lenny and felt that he sounded better than ever. Cut one is a song called “Dancing Naked In The Dark.” When he saw the title Lenny said, “I can't record this. After I listened to it I said this is not a bad song, there's nothing dirty about it, the song is all right.” Lenny asked me what I thought about the second cut on the CD called “Slow.” I said ' It reminds me of an old movie, a couple is kissing and the camera pans away to the open window with the curtains blowing in the wind, you know something is happening, BUT it is not shown.” You can hear samples of the CD at www.lennywelch.com.

Lenny also does a lot of oldies shows, primarily on the east coast and you might even see him on a cruise someplace.

Trivia This group from New jersey are sometimes called the female Drifter's who are they? They of course are the fabulous Shirell's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home